Monday, September 24, 2007

Karua meininkiä / Hard reality

The best place on earth, most livable city in the world, jaettu kolmas sija uusimmassa Quality of life -tutkimuksessa... Vancouver, armas kotikaupunkimme, on eri tahojen mukaan kaikkea tätä. On tässä jo ollut jonkin aikaa ajatuksena näpytellä yhteenvetoa näistä täällä asutuista reilusta 6 vuodesta ja keskittyä analysoimaan elämänlaatua, asumista, liikennettä ja muita arkipäivän juttuja mun omassa MPP-juttusarjassa.

Alustuksesta käynee kokemus tämänpäiväiseltä lounastauolta. Liikennevaloissa heiluu nuori nainen levottomana, on luultavimmin aineissa tai/ja muuten vain onnellinen. Vieressä vanhempi nainen mumisee hänelle jotain (jotenkin tuli sellainen kuva, että ovat äiti ja tytär). Nuorempi naisista tulee pummaamaan paria dollaria ja tarjoaa suihinottoa kympillä. Kieltäydyn kohteliaasti ja nainen on jo kysymässä samaa asiaa seuraavalta vastaan tulevalta mieheltä, vanhempi nainen odottaa kärsivällisesti toista. Kieltämättä olin hämmentynyt tapauksesta. Rahaa pummataan joka kulmassa, ekaa kertaa sain tuollaisen tarjouksen. Kaupunki alkaa olemaan entistä enemmän kahtiajakautunut ja paha olo leviää...

P.S. Elämänlaatua heikentävä kaupungin työntekijöiden lakko jatkuu edelleen, päivä 67 tänään.

* * *

The best place on earth, most livable city in the world, tied 3rd spot in the latest quality of life survey... Our dear home town Vancouver is all that according to different organizations. I have been meaning to publish a tBBoE series of posts summarizing the 6 years we have lived here with focus on hot topics like quality of life, housing, traffic and other everyday matters.

I'll start now with an incident that happened to me at lunch time today. I was about to go across the street and saw this restless young woman, most likely she was under the influence of something and/or just naturally happy. There was an older woman next to her, I'm assuming the mother, mumbling something. The younger one comes to me and asks if I can spare a toonie (2 dollar coin for all you non-Canadians) or she can blow me for 10 bucks. I graciously declined the offer and she was off to make the offer to the next man she saw. Meanwhile the older woman was patiently waiting for the enterprising one. I have to say I was quite shocked by the incident. Every time you step out, someone will beg for money for sure, it was the first time I got an offer like that. The city is more and more divided in two and the bad feeling spreads.

P.S. The city workers are still on strike, day 67 today and the quality of life isn't getting any better.

No comments: